Bidens Pilosa update....Bloom!

It has been a while since I last made a blog, but trust me, I am pretty busy these days.  I wanted to share an update on the Bidens Pilosa which I planted many many months ago.  Finally the other day as I headed to my garden, I saw a bloom on the plant.  It happened over the course of a day.  I remembered going to the garden and watering.  That day there was no bloom.  I skipped a day and when I went back the next day there was a bright white flower with a yellow center. 

The photo doesn't do the plant justice.  The flowers are a strong bright white, with a line running down the flower.  Then you have this yellow center that is also a very strong yellow.  I know that this plant will thrive in Haiti and it wouldn't take several months to achieve this same bloom.

This plant should produce several hundred seeds just by itself.  Imagine hundreds of these plants on La Gonave?  If you notice how the plant provides great ground cover, it will help the soil retain moisture, and it will also put a nice tap root into the soil.  This will allow water to penetrate the soil, which means more ground water.

Also of course this plant is a key part of the honeybee program on La Gonave.  Not to mention that this plant is edible and contains many useful medicinal properties.

Go Gonave!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Gonave could serve as the template for all of Haiti

Flag of Gonave?

Carnival Cruise to build port in Haiti/Carnival Cruise yo bati pò an Ayiti